Monday, October 6, 2014

General Conference

Monday, October 6, 2014

Hola!
Tuesday we had interviews with the President Thurgood. He alternates between doing interviews and Zone Conferences for each transfer. The next Zone Conference he`s going to do something special or something for Christmas so we are going to have interviews again in 6 weeks. I got some mail that had been sent (mail goes to the Mission Office, not to his apartment). I forgot to write down who wrote me and I don't remember all of them off the top of my head so I`ll have to have you thank them for me next week.

This week we set a baptismal date for Blaz and Arminda for the 18th of October. I think Blaz's baptism will have to get set back but Arminda is definitely ready. She came to all four sessions of General Conference with us. We're still teaching Jorge and Gladys and we have to get them to come to church. Still not really sure what's going to happen with Manuel and Claudia, and if we`ll be able to baptize them before the end of the transfer. Mierta and Nancy.. well we had an awesome lesson with them Thursday. We talked about their love for Jesus Christ and asked if they loved Jesus Christ enough to make some changes in their life. The spirit was super strong and they committed to it but.. they weren't able to do it. So we went Friday and recommitted them but then we couldn't get a hold of them by phone and with everything going on we haven't had a chance to visit with them. So I think there are going to continue to be some roadblocks. But we have 6 people that should be baptized in the next month or so, so we have a lot of work to do teaching them and preparing them for their baptisms.

We went to the Stake Center in Avellaneda to watch General Conference. We were able to watch it in English in a different room with other missionaries from the United States so that was really nice. We weren't able to watch the Priesthood session which was disappointing, but man General Conference was absolutely amazing! To be honest I think it was the first General Conference I've sat down and watched all four sessions live and man have I been missing out. I don't know if it's because it's the first time I've watched all four sessions or if it's because I'm on my Mission but I thought this General Conference was one of the best. Probably a little of both. haha. I loved it. I had 3 rather specific questions/concerns before watching it and they were all answered. I think it's also the first time I`ve done that but I can truly bear witness now and testify of the power to receive personal revelation during General Conference. I`ve never been more spiritually uplifted and edified in my life. It was like talk after talk answered my questions or just brought me peace and comfort or taught me something new. I`ve tried to think of a favorite talk but I just can`t do it. haha. I think the best I can do is maybe narrow it down to my top 5. I`d probably have to say my top 5 talks were:

Elder Lynn G. Robbins - Which Way Do You Face? 
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/which-way-do-you-face?lang=eng
I think my favorite part was where he talked about knowing which way we face and how we must not fear man.

Presidnet Dieter F. Uchtdof  - Receiving a Testimony of Light & Truth https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/receiving-a-testimony-of-light-and-truth?lang=eng

Elder Jorg Klebingat - Approaching the Throne of God With Confidence https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/approaching-the-throne-of-god-with-confidence?lang=eng
His talk was sick! He just threw it down and dropped the hammer sentence after sentence. haha. It was awesome.

Elder Richard G. Scott - Make the Exercise of Faith Your First Priority https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/make-the-exercise-of-faith-your-first-priority?lang=eng
The talk is about 4 tools to help us use the atonement to make us more happy (Prayer, Scripture Study, Family Home Evening & Temple Attendance)

Elder Carlos A. Godoy - The Lord Has a Plan for Us! 
https://www.lds.org/general-conference/2014/10/the-lord-has-a-plan-for-us?lang=eng

I`m bummed I left my notebook in the apartment and I can't remember a lot off the top of my head right now so I`ll have to write more about it next week but needless to say I enjoyed conference a lot. Absolutely loved it and I was super sad when it was over. I can't wait 6 months until the next one. That's so awesome to see all of you guys together for it and that you saw Sister Maria Pribyl (his friend Elder Victor Pribyl's Mom). I'm not going to lie, the pictures made me a little homesick but it's okay. I hope you guys enjoyed it.




It was cool to hear all about the sports updates haha.

Today we went to the Stake Center and played soccer and had a little BBQ so that was pretty fun.

I love you guys and miss you!!

Love Elder McFarland

No comments:

Post a Comment